Saturday, November 17, 2007

Falling Leaves and Planting Flowers




This is the time of the year when the leaves have fallen from the trees. They have been raked into piles by industrious people and kids jump into them from high places, giggling with excitement. I know you might think I am talking about the north, but no, this happens at out house. O.K., the leaves had a little help. Actually Doyle was up in the tree clipping away. This is the time that we do "cut-back." Everything in his path got a new look. I moved the van so it would not become a convertible. He trimmed the ficus trees, bougainvillea bushes, hibiscus, and anything else that grows outside. We always look forward to this time because we get to plant our flowers. During the summer months, it is too hot for most flowers to stay alive. We had a big bucket of miracle grow mixture and I told the kids to not let our dog drink any. They told me they thought she took a few laps. I was afraid she would turn into Clifford--we definitely do not want that to happen. I got a little carried away and bought lots of impatiens. We actually planted 254. I chose red and white ones (they look nice for Christmas and Valentine's Day) for the porch in hanging baskets and in the yard we planted all colors. We were exhausted when we were all done. The whole family worked on the project and had fun doing so. Now we get to watch them start to spread out and become beautiful--they will stay nice until May. I know we don't have snow down here, and I am glad I get to experience the north weather for Christmas. I will have to admit that I look forward to coming back and seeing my flowers in bloom.

5 comments:

Beth Stetler said...

Impatiens are my favorite!

Ronda said...

I enjoyed catching up on your blog...I love the idea that you can plant flowers for Christmas! I also enjoyed seeing your beautiful bedroom...love the victorian touch! You are a girl after my own heart! Sandra Kuck is one of my favorite artists, though I don't have any of her pictures. I LOVE that picture that you have..what a beautiful thing for your husband to do! What a precious reminder of your little angel! Cute pics of your kids dressed up, too! Hope that you all have a very happy Thanksgiving!

Making Memories 1999 said...

Dear Friend!! I've been doing some "catching up" this afternoon!! Beautiful bedroom! Beautiful kids!!!! And I know you'll have a beautiful garden this winter! (Mine won't be looking a thing like that.) :-) So glad you will get to experience some north weather this winter. I've heard rumor that there is supposed to be some snow flurries this week. We'll see!! Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

I'm looking forward to "driving" my bicycle over to your street to see the beautiful flowers. I am always impressed when I see you and Doyle with your children. God has surely given you both a wonderful gift for children. They are so happy. Patricia loves Lydia. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day. Don't eat too much Turkey...lol!!

Kelly S said...

254?!! I love flowers but I don't have a green thumb. I kill any plant/flower I get. This is my goal someday though. Maybe you can help me next summer:)